This month is the beginning of the new online version of the Scribe's Palette. You can visit this page to find out about the latest monthly ESS lecture, the word from our beloved Pharaoh in the Vizier's Papyrus, and the latest news items out of Egypt.
“Did a Drying Sahara Force People to the Nile River?”
By Dr. Robert G. Raynolds
Monday, March 17, 2014
7:00 PM in the Planetarium at DMNS
- Immortal Egypt. Invited Lectures on the Middle East at the University of Texas at Austin. Denise Schmandt-Bessart, ed. Undena Publications: Malibu, California, 1978.
- Pharaohs and Mortals. Torgny Säve-Söderbergh. Trans. By Richard E. Oldenburg. Barnes & Noble: New York, 1958.
- Discovering Ancient Egypt. Rosalie David. New York, N.Y.: Facts on File Publications, 1993. 192 pages, illustrated. Includes sections on "the discoverers" and "outline of Egyptian history."
- The God’s Father Ay. Otto von Schaden. PhD. Dissertation. University of Minnesota. 1977. University Microfilms International, Ann Arbor, MI.
- Thebes in the Time of Amunhotep III. Elizabeth Riefstahl. University of Oklahoma Press: Norman, 1971. Fine description of the capital and court.
- Three Amarna Essays. Mario Liverani. Trans. By Matthew L. Jaffe. Undena Publications: Malibu, California, 1979.
- Iknhaton. Legend and History. F.J. Giles. Fairleigh Dickenson University Press: Rutherford, Ohio, 1970. Another interpretation of Akhenaton.
- The Art and Architecture of the Ancient Near East. Henri Frankfort. Penguin Books: New York, 1954.
- Ancient Egyptian Architectural Design. A Study of the Harmonic System. Alexander Badawy. Berkeley, 1965. Fascinating design insights into Egyptian temple construction.
- Building in Egypt Pharaonic Stone Masonry. Dieter Arnold. Oxford University Press, 1991. 316 p. Excellent; superb diagrams, by one of the top experts in the subject.
- Symbol and Magic in Ancient Egypt. Richard H. Wilkinson. Thames and Hudson, 1994. 224 p.
- Proportion and Style in Ancient Egyptian Art. Gay Robins. Austin: Univ. of Texas Press, 1994.
- "Artists and Artisans in Pharaonic Egypt." R. Drenkhahn. in Civilizations of the Ancient Near East, eds. J. Sasson et al. New York: Scribners, 1994.
- "On the Status and Purposes of Ancient Egyptian Art." John Baines. Cambridge Archaeological Journal, vol. 4, no. 1, April 1994. pp. 67-94.